NEVER BEEN SHOOTING? Would you like to try it?
An offer for Louisville Metro area residents.

If you have never been shooting, are 21 years old or older and not otherwise barred by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, I'd like to invite you to the range. I will provide firearms, ammunition, range fees, eye and hearing protection and basic instruction.

(Benefactor Member of the NRA, member of KC3, former NRA firearms instructor, former Ky CCDW instructor)

Email me if you are interested in taking me up on this offer. Five (5) people already have.

May 30, 2008

National Open Carry Day - Friday, July 4, 2008

Back in January in a post about a WalMart manager suddenly afflicted with PSH when he saw a gentleman shopper carrying a Glock, I concluded, "Are we too frightened of "scaring Whitey" to open carry? We have National Ammo Day, and National Buy-a-Gun Day. Do we need a National Open Carry Day or two to help some of these jerks to get over their hoplophobia?"

I can't recall ever making another reference to it, but GBW is the third listing in the Google search for the phrase after PatriotPages.net and Snowflakes in Hell. Go figure.

According to PatriotPages, Friday, July 4th is National Open Carry Day, and the weekend of July 4-6 is National Open Carry Weekend.

There's been a lot of discussion on blogs and boards lately about the efficacy of concealed carry v. open carry. I usually come down on the side of those who say that open carry is a tactical mistake, however, if someone chooses to do so, they should be able to open carry any place they have a right to be. And we certainly should refrain from it just to keep someone's panties from scrunching into a wad.

We are told we frighten people, and so shouldn't let our guns be seen. We are told we are a menacing presence that makes others uncomfortable, including police who should know better. Most folks who regularly read gun blogs will remember ColtCCO's experience with a Knoxville, Tennessee police officer outside a WalMart in the fall of 2007 which resulted in an official apology, reprimands and additional training about carry laws for the entire department.

Perhaps several million responsible, law abiding adults exercising their right to keep and bear arms openly on the day our nation celebrates shaking the tyrant's boot off our neck would have a salutary effect upon the ignorance and immaturity of the general public. Millions might be wishful thinking, but hundreds of thousands is certainly not out of the question.

Even if the public isn't educated, I'm sure a number of police officers would be forced to confront their ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against cops per se, only ignorant ones. If you sign up to enforce the law, you should know it.

In Kentucky, the Commonwealth's Constitution disallows most restrictions on bearing arms, indeed includes positive affirmation of "the right to bear arms in defense of themselves..", speaking of the People. In fact, open carry was intended to be the norm in Kentucky, as the the Constitution specifically allows the the General Assembly to prohibit concealed carry of deadly weapons. Apparently in 1891, they didn't give much thought to the tactical advantages of concealed carry.

I wouldn't expect to have much trouble with open carry in most of Kentucky, except perhaps the People's Democratic Republics of Louisville Metro (PDRLM) and Lexington/Fayette County and perhaps in parts of Northern Kentucky. But one can find benighted souls anywhere, and everyone has heard tales of small town cops run amok.

I expect to be in small town America on the Fourth of July and intend to open carry. If I get stuck in PDRLM, I will attend at least two very public outdoor gatherings, and I intend to open carry. Wherever I am, I hope I'm not alone in observing National Open Carry Day.

I think I'll use this occasion as an excuse to buy a new holster for my Glock Model 20. I'm leaning toward the Blackhawk CQC Holster with SARS. It comes with both belt loop and paddle setups. That ought to take care of any retention concerns. I'll let you know what I think of it.

No comments:

head