NEVER BEEN SHOOTING? Would you like to try it?
An offer for Louisville Metro area residents.

If you have never been shooting, are 21 years old or older and not otherwise barred by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, I'd like to invite you to the range. I will provide firearms, ammunition, range fees, eye and hearing protection and basic instruction.

(Benefactor Member of the NRA, member of KC3, former NRA firearms instructor, former Ky CCDW instructor)

Email me if you are interested in taking me up on this offer. Five (5) people already have.

May 29, 2008

Doing the math on buying gasoline...

A friend sent me an email with a link to a site that tells you the price of gas in your area when you enter your zip code. I'm sure it can be quite useful, but I was figuring this out the other day and came up with this.

Say you have a 12 gallon gas tank on your car.

12 x $4.00 = $48.00/tank

12 x $3.95 = $47.40/tank

You save $ 0.60/tank

Say you get 20mpg. It costs you $ 0.20 for every mile you drive.

If you drive 5 miles out of your way to save five cents a gallon, it costs you $ 1.00 to drive that 5 miles. You would lose $ 0.40 on that tank of gas, not to mention the extra time it takes to drive there and back. If you drive 10 miles to save that nickel/gallon, it would cost you $2.00 just to make the trip, and you would lose $1.40 on that tank of gas.

I know a man that routinely drives 10 miles out of his way to save 2-5 cents per gallon, and he loses money every time he fills up his tank. He just doesn’t believe the math.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had the same basic conversation with myself regarding a new car purchase.

I have a 20 gallon tank and get 15-18 miles to the gallon. My Wrangler is paid off and has relatively zero mechanical problems.

While a new car would get better gas mileage, that's $20,000-$30,000 extra I'd have to pay to save X on gas (where X < 30,000). Plus insurance. Plus the fact that, if new car breaks, it's no longer something I can fix in my own garage. Heck, I can't even change the oil in my wife's car.

If it weren't for the crotchfruit, I'd buy a $2000 used motorcycle in addition to the Jeep.

GreatBlueWhale said...

Was talking to a young lady a couple of weeks ago who was planning on buying a Prius. We spent about 20 minutes with pen and paper, and now she is buying a used Corolla. If she'd only be as reasonable about guns...

head