NEVER BEEN SHOOTING? Would you like to try it?
An offer for Louisville Metro area residents.

If you have never been shooting, are 21 years old or older and not otherwise barred by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, I'd like to invite you to the range. I will provide firearms, ammunition, range fees, eye and hearing protection and basic instruction.

(Benefactor Member of the NRA, member of KC3, former NRA firearms instructor, former Ky CCDW instructor)

Email me if you are interested in taking me up on this offer. Five (5) people already have.

December 6, 2007

The Golden Compass - Why I won't see it.

I enjoyed the trailers for "The Golden Compass", and though initially eager to see it, I won't be. This may surprise my friends who know my affinity for fantasy, but the reason is simple. I try not to help those who seek to do me harm. I don't have to help them hurt me.

How so? Though toned down from the books upon which it is based, The Golden Compass is, by the author's design, propaganda about killing God (at least what he perceives to be God) and removing the influence of Christianity from public life. He likens it to an anti-Chronicles of Narnia. Now, the author had every right to pen his tale. The publisher had every right to print and distribute it. The producers and stars had every right to make the movie. The public has the right to purchase these products. Or not.

The price of my ticket and the fact of my presence in the theater would encourage the producers to move forward with plans to turn the remaining books in the trilogy into films. If I patronize this film, I directly participate in the authors stated purpose, to marginalize people of faith and "kill" God. This is not in my interest as a person of faith.

Though I won't be protesting and waving signs with "objectionable" slogans, my attitude and actions will still be vilified by some. I'll be called names and my intelligence will be questioned. People will make other negative assumptions about me because of what they perceive to be my intolerance and arrogance, that I'm trying to push my religion, or any for that matter, down their throats. (even though that's exactly what they are trying to do to me) And that is what I am talking about. I don't have to help them hurt me.

There are plenty of films which affirm people of faith. I prefer to spend my money there. For example, my sweet wife and I saw "Bella" a few evenings ago. I highly recommend it. (And if you go to Tinseltown on Tuesday evenings, admission is only $5!!) Movies like "Bella" seem trite and melodramatic to "sophisticates", but my observation shows me that's how much of life really is. Most of us are drama queens in the right (or wrong) circumstances.

I hope my $10 spent to see "Bella" will encourage the producers of that fine little independent film to produce more of the same. One thing is certain. The $10 I didn't spend on "The Golden Compass" can't do the same.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Releasing a movie based on an anti-God novel during the Christmas season?

That's some chutzpah.

GreatBlueWhale said...

And plenty of it.

head