NEVER BEEN SHOOTING? Would you like to try it?
An offer for Louisville Metro area residents.

If you have never been shooting, are 21 years old or older and not otherwise barred by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, I'd like to invite you to the range. I will provide firearms, ammunition, range fees, eye and hearing protection and basic instruction.

(Benefactor Member of the NRA, member of KC3, former NRA firearms instructor, former Ky CCDW instructor)

Email me if you are interested in taking me up on this offer. Five (5) people already have.

July 26, 2007

Comment for Bud.

(This is continuation of comments on Bud's post found here. Since this
one is kind of long, I thought I'd post it here. Long posts are a little tedious
to read in the small Blogger comments window)


Bud, I wasn’t really comparing guns and cars. The right to keep and bear arms is, well, a right. The use and operation of a motor vehicle is a privilege, granted and regulated by the respective states. It is well within the power of the state to regulate the use and operation of motor vehicles, but the federal government and the states are strictly forbidden by the Constitution from infringing on our right to keep and bear arms. I was, however, making the point that death is not the exclusive province of firearms. I did not mention registration, licenses, etc.

I would take issue with “inadvertent mayhem”. Of the approx. 40,000 people who die on the highways every year, approx. 20,000 involve alcohol. When your actions have unintended but harmful results, they are not inadvertent or accidental; they are criminal. Someone has decided, as evidenced by their actions, that their choice of drinking and driving is more important than the life of every person they meet on the road. Of the remaining 20,000, I would hazard a guess that a substantial portion is due to criminal negligence on the part of the drivers, such as driving while too tired, putting on makeup in the car, using a cell phone, eating, following too closely, driving too fast, reading a newspaper, and the list goes on.

I’m glad you agree that keeping and bearing arms is a right, even if you qualify it with “of some sort.” I’d be interested to see your reasoning behind limiting a human right. Do you apply the same description and standards to the rest of our civil rights as enumerated in the Bill of Rights, such as freedom of speech and religion, peaceable assembly, petition for redress of grievances against the government, search and seizure, and others, as you do to the civil right to keep and bear arms?

You see, the rights enumerated in the Constitution are not given to us in that document, nor are they given by government that government may take them away; we possess them at birth. (“…and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights,”) If something is within the power of government to allow or deny, it is a privilege, not a right. When exercised responsibly so as not to infringe upon the rights of others, all our rights are, by nature, unlimited. This is called Liberty. However, when exercised irresponsibly and without respect of the rights of those around us (not liberty, but license: lack of due restraint), they are no longer rights, but crimes of various sorts.

When the man in Atlanta took the lives of people who were not threatening him, he was not exercising his right to bear arms or his right to self defense. He was committing the crimes of assault and murder. Participants in a riot are not exercising their right of peaceable assembly; they are committing a crime. If I were to slander or libel you, I would not be exercising free speech; I would be committing a crime.

And so we have laws defining, among other things, when abuse of a right becomes a crime. The purpose of laws is not to prevent crime; laws define crime and outline the penalties for unlawful behavior. Most people obey most laws not because they are afraid of the penalties, but because they desire to live at peace with their neighbors in an orderly fashion, and lawfulness is their normal way of life. Some people obey laws because, even though they would like to disobey some of them, they don’t want to suffer the penalty if caught and convicted. And then there are the rest, people who obey the laws only when it’s convenient for them because they have no respect for the people around them and, for some reason, don’t seem to dread the penalties. We call these people criminals. They do not respect our rights, and they impose their reckless selfishness on the rest of us. Criminals would pay absolutely no attention to any new restrictions or regulation of firearms. How do I know this?

It’s against the law for a convicted felon to possess a firearm. Yet how many convicted felons commit additional crimes with a firearm? In many jurisdictions, it’s against the law for anyone to carry a concealed weapon. Yet how many criminals pull a pistol from a pocket or a shotgun from under a coat to commit armed robbery? Need I go on? I think you get my point that criminals break the law. Any law that suits them. That is their nature.

In the sense you use it, it is not in the “nature” of guns to do or be anything. Nature is defined as a characteristic disposition or temperament, and guns are capable of neither. Nor are firearms good or evil, they are amoral. Firearms are tools. Some wield them to good purpose, others do not. Firearms do not take on the character of the person who uses them. Murders and assaults have been committed with knives, baseball bats, crowbars, telephones, ropes, rocks, sticks, motor vehicles, ash trays, axes, hammers, saws, stairs, fists, feet, and airplanes. Need I go on? Yet only guns have been singled out as “evil” things. Wouldn’t it make more sense to vilify the criminals rather than the tools they use? If you hire a carpenter to build a storage shed for you and he does it poorly, you don’t blame the hammer and saw when your shed falls down. It wasn’t the “nature” of the tools to do a bad job, it was a bad carpenter.

If someone misuses a firearm, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I have no problem with extended sentences for anyone who is convicted of committing a crime with any weapon, not just firearms. I do have a problem with laws that make it more difficult for law-abiding people to acquire, keep, or bear arms. Total bans on firearms do not keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Look at Washington, D.C. or New York City. In both those cities, it is nearly impossible for a law-abiding citizen to legally acquire a firearm, yet criminals acquire them easily. If a total ban doesn’t keep guns out of the hands of criminals, isn’t it reasonable to expect the only people on whom additional “gun-control” laws have an impact are otherwise law-abiding citizens?

I claim no privilege to use arms against anyone I want, whenever I please. That is criminal. However, I do have the human right of self defense, which may require the use of arms if I am in fear for my life or grievous bodily harm. I also have the right to defend those for whom I have a responsibility to defend against the same threats. In this, I am answerable to myself and my God. I am not saying I am above the law.

I have no desire to use arms against any person, but as this is not a perfect world populated by perfect people, I must at least consider that eventuality. Really the question here is not whether or not one will defend oneself. If you are attacked, you will not just sit and take it. The question is what tools you will allow yourself to use. I think it’s a bad idea to drive nails with a rock. There are better tools to use. I will use the most efficient tools I can for self defense.

Please understand. However much I may try to persuade someone, it is not my intent to force anyone else to own or bear firearms. How people exercise their civil rights (or not) is of no concern to me as long their actions do not infringe upon my rights. If, for any reason, a person doesn’t want to own a weapon, that is their call and it is fine by me. Like me, everyone lives with the consequences of our daily decisions, whether good or bad. That is personal responsibility. It is another thing, however, to make that call for someone else and force them to live with the consequences of someone else's decision. That is tyranny.

GBW

5 comments:

scot s w said...

I appreciate your eloquent defense of your position, and agree that you make some compelling points. I responded to your comments over at Bud's blog, and since you've continued the conversation here, I would like to as well.

I understand that there is a political philosophy behind the desire to protect gun ownership, and you assert that you are defending a natural human right. I think it's worth pointing out that this is an opinion, not a fact, and that it's not an opinion shared by everyone. You may believe deeply that every person has a right to carry a gun (or, hell, drive a tank). But that's YOUR opinion, and it is NOT an assertion of fact.

Keeping and bearing arms is a right protected by our deliberately amendable Constiution. I think it's worth remembering that this Amendment was born of a particular political environment, and that other democracies born in different environments have chosen, through democratic processes, a different set of values regarding firearms. Many of those countries enjoy no less democracy (and have shown more respect for human rights than our current goverment).

The Constitution is a legal document and NOT a religious document, though you may opine that it enshrines some divine order. Jefferson's line about our rights being "endowed by our creator" is a nice flourish, but it's not law. Non-believers are protected equally by our Constitution.

So my point is that gun ownership rules are ultimately a matter of public policy. In our country, it is recognized as a "right" because it is enshrined in the Constitution, not because our Creator gave us as humans the inalienable right to pack heat. (You may rebut and say you think He did, but others would counter that they're not willing to agree He exists. Ergo: It's opinion, not fact.) I also don't believe that trial by a jury of peers is necessarily a birthright of all sons of Adam -- I think that's a product of the Anglo-American judicial heritage. Somebody might find ways to protect your rights that doesn't include that mechanism.

Read literally, the 2nd Amendment also calls for a "well-regulated militia," which does not currently exist in this country. When gun nuts (and I'm not sure you're one) talk about the sanctity of the Constitutuion, this phrase is treated like a red-headed stepchild.

Finally, I'm most frustrated with the pro-gun lobby's callous position on the tens of thousands of victims of gun violence, as though they were legitimate collateral damage in some profound Godly mission to protect our rights. Other countries have different gun laws, and they don't have our murder problem. I believe that the lives to which they are entitled trump and outweigh your perceived right to kill when you deem it necessary.

That's just an opinion, but I hold it pretty strongly. Since I believe in democracy, I'm willing to allow this disagreement to be settled as a matter of public policy through the democratic process. But the NRA and its ilk want that off the table. They argue that their rights are inalienable, and then buy the politicians necessary to secure that "right".

I don't want to get distracted by quibbles -- your post is clearly thought out in general. But you say: "When your actions have unintended but harmful results, they are not inadvertent or accidental; they are criminal."

That is so sometimes, but certainly not always. For example, Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face. Your blanket statement adjudges him to be a criminal. Reflect on that. Shall we impeach?

Anonymous said...

Without getting into the issue of the effectiveness of gun control laws let me respond to a couple of the assumptions in this essay.

First, let's not confuse the philosophical principles in the second paragraph of the Delcaration - essentially a piece of political propaganda - with the legalism of a constitution. Certainly, our political system is based on the assumption that our creator has endowed us with "certain" rights but in an orderly society, as opposed to a free-for-all, it's necessary to spell these rights out in some fashion. I believe Jefferson recognized that with his use of the word "certain."

In fact, the Constitution prior to any amendments did that. Article I, Section 9 protects the citizens from Congressional intrustion into their rights to import slaves prior to 1808, from Congressional bills of attainder, from the passage of ex post facto laws, and from poll taxes. I suppose a person might assume that in the absence of the language in Section 9 the Congress would have had the right to do any of those things. The language of a legal document must by its nature be assumed to have a meaning.

For political reasons it became necessary for the supporters of the ratification of the Constitution to support the enumeration of several more individual rights, resulting in the adoption of the first ten amendments. As originally proposed they were a hodge-podge of "rights" somewhat removed from the "pure" Lockean conception of liberty. For example, one of the proposed amendments (rejected until its ratification in the late 20th century)limited Congress' power to increase its compensation. Perhaps a good idea, but certainly not in the same category as free exercise of religion or freedom of expression.

As for the amendment restricting the right of Congress to limit the right to bear arms, it is clearly directed to militias. The inclusion of that reference must have had a meaning. Does the language of the entire amendment mean Congress can't restrict in any way the right to own a pistol? a rifle? a shotgun? a machine gun? hollow-point bullets? You'd have to more of an absolutists than I am to conclude so.

GreatBlueWhale said...

Not ignoring anyone. On my way out the door for a four day trip, sans computer. Will reply when I have more time.
GBW

Bud said...

I believe Scot and Sparty are correct, and I have written an answer which I'll be posting over on BIRCHES

GreatBlueWhale said...

scot s w and sparty,
I screwed up when I posted over here on my blog. I am replying to you over on Birches.

sparty, I won't be replying to you directly on Birches. I covered it under the reply to scot.

Please post any pertinent comments over on Birches.
thx
GBW

head