NEVER BEEN SHOOTING? Would you like to try it?
An offer for Louisville Metro area residents.

If you have never been shooting, are 21 years old or older and not otherwise barred by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, I'd like to invite you to the range. I will provide firearms, ammunition, range fees, eye and hearing protection and basic instruction.

(Benefactor Member of the NRA, member of KC3, former NRA firearms instructor, former Ky CCDW instructor)

Email me if you are interested in taking me up on this offer. Five (5) people already have.

October 21, 2004

Some don't understand the personal responsibility of voters?

(A recycle from the 2000 election with a few minor edits)

Well, it's election day, and somewhere, sometime, people are going to be whining, "They did this," or "They did that (whoever They are), and I didn't get to vote." I don't understand it. It seems some people are unable to understand the simple concept of, "It's my vote, and I am responsible for seeing it cast, and cast correctly."

There are few requirements for which I am responsible.

First, I must be legally eligible to vote.

Second, I must be legally registered to vote, that is, within the correct time period allowed for registration, and within the correct precinct and for primaries, registered to a party that has candidates on the ballot.

Third, I must go to the proper polling place to vote.

Fourth, I must provide to the poll workers legal proof of my identity that agrees with my registration information.

Fifth, I must know for whom I will be voting.

Sixth, I must understand how to cast my vote correctly. All the information necessary to successfully cast a legal vote is readily accessible to anyone who cares to know it.

Under Kentucky law, if I am not legally registered, I do not have right to vote. If I am at the wrong precinct, I do not have a right to vote there. If I cannot provide legally required identification, the poll worker is required by law to deny me access to the voting booth. If I cast an incorrect or blank vote because I haven't taken the time to understand, or asked for instructions about the voting method, I have no one to blame but myself. If any of these occur, it is not some conspiracy by (fill in your favorite bug-a-boo here) to disenfranchise you, it is your failure to secure your right to vote.

I have worked polls in the past here in Kentucky. It is the duty of the poll workers to ensure, to the best of their ability, that the votes which are cast are legal, and cast correctly. Poll workers must ensure the identity of the voter. Any voter may ask for assistance from the poll workers. Representatives of both parties then assist the voter. Some counties use paper ballots (no punch cards of which I am aware, you fill in a circle with a pencil), some machines in which you flip a lever for your candidate. Instructions are posted outside and inside the voting booths. Sample ballots are available to study before you go in to vote. If you have a disability, you have the right to bring in a person of your choice, with a few exceptions, to assist you in casting your ballot. Provisional ballots are on hand for the appropriate circumstances.

Poll watchers who have received the same training as poll workers are allowed inside the polling place. They, just as a poll worker, can challenge a voter's eligibility to vote. However, if you are legally registered, are at the correct polling place, and have identification, you cannot be stopped from voting in the appropriate races. If you let a challenge intimidate you and do not vote, you have no one to blame but yourself.

For years, I was challenged at every election. Poll workers and watchers would not, rightfully so, allow me to vote in city elections because I resided 20 feet out of the city limits. I was in the correct precinct, but was not a resident of the city. I could have called the challenge harassment, could have stayed home and complained about someone else taking away my right to vote, could have charged that my rights to vote in the city elections had been denied, or I could have gone to the polls and cast the legal votes I was eligible to cast. I never missed an election.

I don't care what color you are. I don't care about your sexual orientation. I don't care about your religion. I don't care what part of town you live in, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about these things or any others. Be responsible for your vote. Do what you need to do to be able to cast a legal vote, and then go do it! Be an proud, responsible citizen and get the job done.

And if you don't, well, STOP WHINING ABOUT IT!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gayrev.blogspot.com

While I disagree with your slamming of liberals, I couldn't agree with you more on this

"Be responsible for your vote. Do what you need to do to be able to cast a legal vote, and then go do it! Be an proud, responsible citizen and get the job done."

head